Here at NJ Spark, more than a dozen Rutgers students will be reporting on social injustices in and around the New Brunswick area.
However, these issues happen everywhere. Here’s some recent news highlights:
- As the country is gradually shifting its stance on LGBT rights, a group of transgender people protest North Carolina’s new law that restricts them from using the bathroom that corresponds with their gender.
- New York Times staffer, Nikole Hannah-Jones, describes her experiences in the industry as a black female. Several times in her life she had to do a ‘resume check’ for fellow staff members to prove that she belonged.
- As prevention tips flood Twitter for Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Campaign Specialist Susan Sullivan sees an issue with the tip that advocates young women to stay home to avoid assault.
- Recent studies show that children living in close proximity of a former Exide battery recycling plant in Vernon have elevated lead levels in their bodies.. Officials say this disastrous issue can not be blamed on the recycling plant.
- There are many conversations on the issue of growing economic inequality, but little talk on practical solutions. A paper published by The Sociological Quarterly writes that the commonly discussed topics on economic inequality that focus on disparities between gender and race does not hit the core of the issue.